Tuesday, April 20

sneak peak: stair remodel

It feels like forever ago that we made the decision to do some remodeling in our home. It also felt like forever while it was being done. I had this idea that I'd be able to show these great befores and afters within a couple of months. I was majorly disappointed. First, the remodeling itself took a lot longer than expected. Then, once the remodel was done, we decided that we'd have to slowly buy our new furniture and finishing touches. I've been frustrated. But I know we have to be practical. I am however able to show some sneak peaks as we slowly but surely complete things around here. I will start with our stairs.

We live in what is considered an apartment that is built into my in-laws house. Sounds weird, right? It's really hard to explain but we have a private 2 floor apartment with our own private entrance. However, our first floor is actually on the 2nd floor of the building and our 2nd floor on the 3rd. Even more confused? I wish I had a diagram to share but I don't. But let's just say we have a lot of stairs. And ever since little guy could walk I've grown a fear of stairs and heights. I'm deathly afraid of him falling. The scene from Toy Story when Buzz tries to "fly" and jumps off the top banister doesn't help me either. But enough of my paranoia.

Ever wonder what remodeling stairs would look like in a cement house?

It isn't pretty.

The image above is a view from the very top...scary, right? But see the window that lets lots of sunlight in? It's in a weird spot and I wish it was bigger but I definitely appreciate it's lighting affects.

Stairs here in Saudi are made from marble and aren't cheap. But ours were done incorrectly the first time around and we decided to have them redone at our expense. So basically they take hammer-type tools to pound and break up the old marble. Then there's this "lovely" dusty stuff that they have to clean up. Then they measure, cut, and lay the new marble. Hubby and I picked out the new marble. We chose something neutral.

So here we have the after picture. I found this picture on my cam one day. Little guy had taken it, I think it's quite good. :) You can get a good look of the new stairs. You can also see the paint we had done. And let me take a moment to discuss paint. I chose a color called "chili" which was a reddish color. But the painters mixed it differently and we got this. But I wasn't too disappointed so I decided to compromise by keeping it. The banister was to be a much darker shade of brown though. But these guys were not getting it. They started by painting it the same as the wall. YUK! So then hubby had to show them the paint sample again. And this is the brown we got. Not what I wanted, but could be worse. I was just so sick of it all that I said okay, let's just be done with it already!

Now, my next step in this area is deciding on what to do with the window. I'm thinking a nice simple rod with some sheer panels, maybe with a delicate design. I'll let you know what I decide. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment