Saturday, November 27

instant noodles

Do you like noodles?

I certainly do. They are tasty, very affordable, and take only minutes to prepare. As a matter of fact, I lived off of Ramen Noodles during my college days. Money was VERY tight back then and we had to be very creative in finding cheap ways to eat. The plus side is that I was at my ideal weight back then. Hmmm...a noodle diet? I should consider. ;)

But these packets were cheap. I think now they're about 4 packs for a dollar. I could swear that I use to find them even cheaper than that. I would stock up on my grocery store trips and I dabbled with all the different flavors.

One of my good friends, who happens to be from the Phillipines, introduced me to another brand of instant noodles. We would take trips to the Asian Food Store and she'd suggest all kinds of things for me to try. I must add that I loved everything she suggested, including the noodles. But then I kinda forgot about noodles. Until I moved to Saudi and guess what? Yes, I found the very same noodles that my friend introduced me to. They're called "Indomie" and they are tasty.

Although these also come in many flavors, my favorite by far is the fried noodles flavor. You boil the noodles in water. While they're boiling away, you empty the packets (there's about 4 of them; soy sauce, oil mixture, chili powder, and another seasoning packet) into a bowl. Drain the noodles and place on top of the seasonings. Mix and enjoy!

When little guy was starting solids back in the day, my Indonesian housekeeper taught me to poach an egg right in the water before adding the noodles. This obviously gives more protein to the meal (and again, for an affordable cost). Hubby doesn't care for noodles, but little guy and I are big fans. And altough we do not make this a daily habit (too much MSG), I do buy the big carton of them. Between my housekeeper, little guy, and I, they will not go to waste.

Truth be told, I just had these for my dinner tonight. So if you ever come across this brand, and have never tried them, you must. They are yummy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, there are many packages of Ramen Noodles in my cabinet as we speak. I think they used to be 10 for a buck back in the day. Those other noodles sound tasty too. You learned how to poach an egg? How do you do it? Does it have to do with swirling it in water? I've never done it.

    ReplyDelete