I have this problem that I discovered about myself...I'm a workaholic.
First step is admitting it, right? You see, I discovered this trait of mine while working in the retail world. I managed a store for several years and LOVED it. I loved the business of it all. I loved merchandising too. When my regional manager asked if I'd be interested in moving up, I told him if marriage and children were not important to me, I'd work my way straight to the home office (I actually did work for a couple weeks in the HO and LOVED it!). Of course back then hubby was away and we didn't have little guy then. I had lots of free time. In retail, long hours are a given. You work holidays, you work nights, you work weekends. It's part of the deal.
But as a teacher, hours are supposedly so much better. All daylight, no holidays, no summers....well, hahaha to that! I think summer is the only time I actually don't work on school stuff. But even still, I'm collecting and organizing material for the coming school year. And once the school year has begun...don't get me started. We have so much to do, especially this year. I have a hard time escaping it all. I want to constantly work on things so that I can maybe just maybe get ahead of it all. I have not had one night where I didn't work on something school related; be it lesson plans, corrections, projects, etc. Until....tonight. I finally told my workaholic self "NO!". I finally took one evening and did not do a single thing for work. Instead, I'm blogging. And after this I'm going to get some well deserved sleep. Why? Because I deserve it. I've worked long and hard and have not been taking good care of myself for weeks. And I'm sick and tired of it. I'm making a pledge right now to take better care of myself. Work will be there tomorrow. I can continue then.
Good night. ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment